Who are we?
We are Katie and Ben: Adventure-seekers, nature-lovers and consumers of all things edible. (Seriously.)
Unlike normal twenty-somethings, we don’t own cars, a duvet, or even a toaster.
And we’re okay with being “abnormal”. Especially if it means we get to travel more than the typical 2-weeks per year.
Shortly after getting married, we quit our comfortable jobs, booked an absurdly cheap flight to Colombia, and left behind everything that didn’t fit into our backpacks.
We met on a snowboarding trip when we were 16 years old. Yep, that makes us high school sweethearts (cue “oohs and awws”).
We’ve been through a lot together – awkward teenage years, college, long-distance – and at the end of it all, we still sorta like each other ;)
When did we start traveling?
Our entire world changed during our senior year of college when we studied for a semester overseas. We boarded an international flight – a first for both of us – and landed in the cobblestoned streets of Florence, Italy. We spent the next four months traveling around Europe and discovering a world we never knew existed. And we’ve been hooked ever since.
Why We Travel
There’s something utterly addicting about travel. It’s like nicotine, but more expensive. Though it’s probably a little better for our lungs.
Let’s just say that the more places we travel, the more places we want to see. Each place we’ve visited has given us reasons to fall in love. For some it’s the landscape, in others it’s the food or culture, and in others still it’s the people. Sometimes we are enraptured by it all. Those are the places that are hardest to leave.
But most of all, we travel because we believe that this world
is too big (and too interesting!) to stay in one place!
Our Travel Style
It’s hard to sum up the way we travel in a few short sentences, especially since we don’t identify with just one particular style.
- We enjoy traveling slowly when we can. We’d prefer to stay in one place for several days and get to know it well as opposed to just skimming the surface of a few places.
- We seek out unique cultural experiences and live for trying new foods, no matter how strange they may sound.
- We also love just about anything that gets our adrenaline pumping. Skydiving, whitewater rafting, canyoning, bungee jumping… we even biked the World’s Most Dangerous Road (and survived!).
- When it comes to money, we consider ourselves to be between budget travelers and middle-range. Being that we are in our mid-twenties, we are past the phase where we will sleep on a stranger’s floor to save money. We certainly still try to save money wherever possible, but we’ve learned that when it comes to travel, there are times to save and times to splurge.
- While we are traveling, we always try to support companies who are treating locals and the environment well – even if it is a more expensive option.
Tell Me More!
Really, you want to know more about us?!
- I despise ketchup. I can’t even stand it being near me. It needs to be on the other side of the table and preferably hidden behind a bigger condiment.
- Throughout my life, I have studied many languages – Spanish, French, Italian, Korean, and a brief stint with Icelandic – but unfortunately (and embarrassingly) I only speak English fluently. (I am attempting to get my Spanish back up to par.)
- I crave bold flavors. I like my coffee black, my wine red (and dry), and my beer of choice is an IPA. And when it comes to food, give me spicy!
- If I could spend 90 percent of my day outdoors, I’d be happy. I grew up camping, hiking, and canoeing, and am totally in my element when I’m surrounded by nature.
- There's just something I love about live music. I have been lucky enough to hear some my favorite artists live and I think being near the stage is one of my happy places.
- I am a recovering Type-A personality that quit a career engineering to travel the world. Crazy? Maybe. Regrets? None.
- Give me a good beer, good people, and a good place, and I will be happy. Two and I am great. Three and I’m loving life!
- I prefer the mountains to the ocean, mainly because the latter requires sunscreen.
- I am the sous chef to Katie’s head chef, and I am navigator to her “let’s get lost” attitude. I love that we work as a team.
- I have a weird thing for maps. I am pretty good with directions, but sometimes I do get lost. That's part of the adventure, right?!
What’s our favorite place we’ve visited?
We always have different answers for this question. It depends on our moods when you ask, I suppose. For a beach vacation, the Philippines wins – hands down. For food we would both say Vietnam. When it comes to art and history, Italy has both our hearts. And if it’s getting lost in mysterious mountains you're after, head to a small town in Colombia called Salento.
Where have we been?
Argentina, Austria, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Laos, Malta, Mexico, Montenegro, Myanmar, Nepal, The Netherlands, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, U.S.A., Vietnam
Wander With Us
Sign up to our Email List